Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Sports and Politics

An interesting post by Dan Drezner discusses whether sport can really "stop a war," as Bono claims in the new ESPN ads for the World Cup. Drezner is skeptical.

Well, I don't know if sports can stop a war (though I'll be rooting for Ivory Coast in the hopes that it might). But I do know sports can profoundly affect politics and world affairs. When I lived in South Africa briefly, I asked many people if they felt the economic sanctions the world imposed had any affect on the quality of their lives. Without exception, the answer was no. Instead, South Africans -- white South Africans, that is -- said that what they hated was S. Africa's exclusion from international sporting events, and that this, more than anything, made the country come to loathe apartheid.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home