Thursday, June 22, 2006

Referees 1, Ben's back hair 0

Naught but two days ago, I wrote:

4. 2006 is the year sports referees took 15 years off my life. After the debacle that was the 2006 Super Bowl, I thought I'd seen the worse in bad officiating. But watching the referee of the US-Italy game yank red cards out of his pocket with giddy abandon made me age another 10 years on Saturday. My back hair has turned gray.

Well, I just gained another 20 years and my back hair has fallen out (thank god). Moments after the US equalized with Ghana in the first half, breathing new life into the American team, the referee decided to award a penalty because a US defender decided to, er, defend the ball. Kasey "Janky" Keller failed to stop the penalty, we went into the half down 2-1, and for all intents and purposes, it was over.

I love sports. But I am getting tired of investing so much emotional energy into events, only to have the outcome dictated by some dipshit overeager to interfere with the playing of the game. And now, please, will soccer agree it's time for instant replay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home